The Orla Chair

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Last night I finished another chair I'd started a little while ago. When I found this super cute fabric at the store it immediately made me think of someone creative with a whimsical personality using it to work in their craft room, and reminded me the print designer Orla Kiely's signature pattern. You already know about my love for nearly anything Orla puts out (I still have both bottles of the eco-friendly cleaner she designed for Method), so this was kind of my homage to her.

I found both of these chairs from an antique shop for $4 a pop in Frederick, Maryland called Cannon Hill Antiques. If you're a patient person, you can find so many great pieces here. The place was chock full, but you'll have to do a little digging.



Here's a before and after. The chair started out wooden chair painted blue with a floral purple seat covering. The frame was in great shape, and they were super light to carry. Plus they were $4 (!) so I didn't hesitate in getting them. The seat was really flat and hard, so I purchased extra batting and foam, and then reupholstered it with this super cute orange, blue and white pattern from JoAnn fabrics. I went back and forth on the paint color for a long time, but then decided on a golden yellow. It looks a little more daisy colored here for some reason.

The Before  
(I have one more chair from this set to upholster, which I'll be doing in a pretty bold print and color, totally different from this one. Can't wait to share that one when it's finished. )

The After



I call this one the "Orla" chair. Here's an Orla print that I modeled if off.

I LOVE how it turned out, and will be putting it up for sale pretty soon. Speaking of...I recently sold off that pair to newly upholstered gold dining chairs to a happy homeowner. Shoot me an e-mail if you're in the DC are and interested!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger