Allons-y!

Tuesday, October 23, 2012


EF - Live The Language - Paris from Albin Holmqvist on Vimeo.

Surges of excitement have been coursing through my blood every day since I bought my plane ticket to Paris! Oui! Oui! Oui! Back to Paris I go next spring for a little birthday trip. It will be the culmination of years of day dreaming and fantasizing about a solo trip to the City of Lights. 
I went about 7 years ago with my brother and a friend from college, and while that trip had some bumps, it was overall a wonderful experience that left me with a bigger desire to see Paris on my own, in my own way.

While I love traveling with girlfriends (and Dave, of course), I truly get into my happy place when I travel alone. Even if it's just a trip out to the country. Something about satisfying those thoughts of wandering through a foreign city or town armed with little more than a few introductory words to the language and an open mind about the culture fills my spirit, makes me feel a bit more like the explorer I was as a little girl. I love the trail and error of being somewhat lost but not really because my destination isn't really defined. It's just exploration. I think that sensibility has been with me for as long as I've know. I grew up an ARMY brat, traveling to a new country every three years and being sort of fearless about exploring off-beaten shops and making friends with people who spoke different languages. Or lounging away at museums or restaurants or open markets and asking strangers for the best place to eat Italian or see a movie. It's something I hope I'm able to do every so often even years from now.

So in the meantime I've been immersing myself back into the French language (those college courses seem like ages ago!) by listening to French radio at work, studying at home, and having brief conversations with a co-worker who speaks French fluently. 

What about you? Do any of you enjoy traveling solo, and if so, where? If you have recommendations for places to visit while in Paris please feel free to share!

xo,
Nicole

1 comment:

  1. I think I'd enjoy traveling solo for a few days, or with at least one person who won't infringe on my need to explore my own way. Enjoy Paris!

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger