Potato Soup for the Soul

Saturday, January 21, 2012


 



Photos by Nicole Crowder

This morning I woke up feeling a little crappy. Outside the first snow that had fallen on D.C since this very mild winter we've been having, and though I wanted to go out and take photos, my back, stomach and head were aching and I was having sinus troubles. The first couple of hours of the morning I moved around the apartment like sludge, but then I did what everybody does when they're sick: I went around the apartment cleaning and organizing the living room, bedroom, the bathroom from top to bottom, washing dishes, taking out trash. Yes, just like a crazy sick person reared by a momma who used to disinfect the entire house if any one was sick just in case the germs were lingering.

And then I did the only other thing I could do for comfort: I cooked.
I cooked one of the most delicious and comforting soups I've ever had (ok, maybe I'm a little bias): a potato and cheddar soup with bacon and chives. Savory and cheesy but not overly. Warm and smooth from an even puree. The original recipe called for water, but I substituted for chicken stock instead for a more robust flavor. Even before the first spoonful I was feeling better. My sinuses were slightly less congested and my whole mood was lifted. The sweet catharsis of being in your own kitchen and making food that's great for the spirit and for your health is incomparable. So here's to feeling better and also hoping you'll have a chance to share a bowl with me sometime!

Recipe found here

3 comments:

  1. Those photos are absolutely gorgeous! Did you shoot with natural light or do you have studio lights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Danielle! These were shot with natural light. I have a small white desk in my living room that is right in front of the window, and with the sun not as high the light was perfect. I shot this with my Nikon D5000 :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! And thanks for sharing the recipe; I will definitely be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger