A Day in an Orchard

Sunday, November 13, 2011

So rarely do I get a chance to travel to the gorgeous countryside of Virginia and take in her generous offering of scenic views. This past weekend I ventured out to a beautiful orchard in Charlottesville, Virginia with two of my good friends, David and Nneka, to do something I've wanted to do for awhile: apple picking!

The drive out to Charlottesville alone gets you excited as you pass rows of trees whose leaves are changing red, orange, yellow and brown. We visited Carter Mountain Orchard, and having never been before we knew that as we ascended the winding road to the top of a hill where the orchard is perched we were in for a special treat. Carter Mountain is vast, and offers pumpkin picking, hay rides, farm-made apple cider and apple cider donuts, wine tasting, and your pick of the finest apples in season. On this day, the seasonal apples of choice were the sweet Fuji and the bright red and fragrant Pink Ladies (which Nneka loves!) It was the perfect Fall day with warm weather, sun, great fruit to sample and great friends to enjoy it with.

Here's a sampling of some of the fun we had. Disclaimer: it's picture heavy, but I couldn't resist! And as I type this, a homemade apple upside down cake is baking my oven, and the smell of butter and sugar and cinnamon and fresh apples creates the fall mood in my apartment. Here's hoping you get out there to explore all that nature has to offer you this fall season!


 

My hair was unruly in the wind, but it was honestly the last thing on my mind.





Pumpkin donuts! So friggin awesome I had to order half a dozen...and yes, I devoured them myself (don't judge me).

2 comments:

  1. Lovely!!! One of my favorite places in my native Virginia. It's all love and fun and nature on Carter's Mountain. You and your friends look fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felicia, it was so beautiful out there! Perfect way to spend the day, and your native VA represented :)

    Hope you're doing great! How's the shoot for AphroChic coming? So excited to see the end result.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger