New Fresh: Mara Hruby

Wednesday, June 1, 2011


The other morning I woke up to a pleasant surprise. A kind viewer of my YouTube page took note that I really dig independent, up and coming artists, and so passed along her own recent discovery of an artist by the name Mara Hruby. Let me say wowza!! *Thank you, Tabitha!

After checking the video for Mara's single "Stereolab (Lose Yourself)", a cover  of a song recorded by J Dilla and The Roots, I got that old familiar feeling in my fingers and toes that comes along with finding out about a new artist you're feeling so much you start tingling.


Mara is a 22-year old singer from Oakland, California who has spent the better part of 2010 working on her EP "From Her Eyes". It's a melodic, soulful and fluid mix of cover songs and original songs she's penned. It's a little bit crazy how much Mara is inside my head, and more specifically inside my iPod. She covers not one but four (!) artists who's songs I've been revisiting through my ear buds lately. Van Hunt's smokey "Character" is given an acoustic, stripped down makeover, revealing a more vulnerable interpretation.

And I love how she punched up the drums on Mos Def's "The Panties" and infuses a harder groove over her light, lilting harmonies. And don't let me get started on the cover to D'Angelo's "Send It On", which doesn't lose any of its sexy. With lyrics like that it's near impossible ;) 

Enjoy a little more Mara here, and be sure to check out her Bandcamp page or purchase her album.








0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger