Blue Ridge Mountains

Saturday, May 14, 2011


Spent the better part of the day making a small playlist that I hope you'll enjoy. 

I loved making this list. It definitely exhibits my current affinity for more pastoral, folk rock.  It's primarily marked by my love affair with Robin Pecknold, though. He's such a beautiful songwriter! Ok, I'll finally stop talking about Fleet Foxes after Helplessness Blues gets Album of the Year...or I've moved to Portland, whichever comes first ;) 

But you'll hear that not all of the songs are pastoral of course, with My Morning Jacket and Local Natives. But if there were a catalyst for this playlist it would be Fleet Foxes' harmonies. And Kurt Vile is one of those artists whose instrumentation I could lust after and listen to over and over, but then it's broken by his uneven vocal cadence. And I kind of like that the more I listen to him.

And I threw in My Morning Jacket at the end because they have an incredible new album coming out on the 31st of this month called "Circuital", and I'm loving their track "Holdin On To Black Metal", which you can check out here. "Steam Engine" takes me back to their album "It Still Moves" where Jim James and his band of brothers constructed this massive tune that has such a beautiful build, and rolls almost every bit as indicative as its namesake. I love how Jim James harmonizes with himself and clashes with the drummer's cymbals at the end.

Enjoy the music. I'm going to post a link to where you can download it later on, hopefully tomorrow. And will be hitting you up with another list soon.


Headed out now to join a friend at an interpretive performance of Nina Simone's "Four Women" by a group of talented ladies called The Saartjie Project.

xo,
Nicole

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger