Interview: Felicia Shelton Speaks with Richard Powers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Today, we're featuring a little interview conducted by the always lovely and talented Felicia Shelton, a photographer and writer who's traveled many-a-mile across the globe and currently makes her home in South Korea. Over the past year, through shared affinities for photography and simple, understated beauty created with minimal effects, Felicia's become a blogging partner in crime and a wonderful friend :)
Recently, on her blog, This Time in Seoul, she linked up with reknown architectural and interior photographer Richard Powers for a little interview. Here's a brief snippet of their exchange:


Interview with Richard Powers
by Felicia Shelton

Richard Powers has shot for Architectural Digest, Elle Decoration among many others as well as photographed several celebrated books combining architecture and interior design, spanning the globe from Asia to South America. What I love most about his work is his composition and how he respects shadow as much as light.

Shelton: I first want to thank you for taking the time to answer a few questions about your incredible career as a photographer. You’ve inspired me a great deal and I’m sure that I’m not alone in this.

Shelton: Richard, how were you first introduced to photography?

Powers: I am self taught picking up my first camera when I was 21 whilst traveling in Australia. From there I traveled extensively throughout Asia and South America shooting 1000’s of rolls – there is no better introduction to understanding light and capturing it.

Shelton: You are self-taught, were there any books that particularly helped you in becoming the photographer that you are today?

Powers: I love the work of the Brazilian photographer Sebastio Salgado – I guess he inspired me to follow my dream.

Shelton: I, too am a photographer specializing in interior. What fascinates you about interior space?

Powers: I have a natural affinity to lines and volumes – always have – long before I picked up a camera I would be framing shots, and still do !

Read the full interview here. Thanks, girlie, for allowing me to re-post!

1 comment:

  1. You're the tops!
    Thank you so much my partner in crime AND FRIEND!
    I'm smiling from ear to ear!

    Merci!

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger