Video Inundation Sunday Pt. 3: Sample Sale

Sunday, November 22, 2009


J Dilla will always be remembered as one of the finest producers in Hip Hop. Thankfully, even after his passing, fresh, unreleased material of his is being released almost daily. I attended a Hip Hop trivia night last Thursday. (Come out if you're in the D.C. area! It's a ridiculous amount of fun, and the energy is soooo good. Lounge of Three at 7pm on Thursdays). One of the rounds was about identifying the sample. As a self-processed Hip Hop head I had to hang that same head in shame quite a few times during this round as I could only guess two samples out of like 10! Granted I wasn't on any of the teams, just observing in the audience, but still! (And Questlove weeps lol). But it got me to start researching some of my favorite songs in Hip Hop and tracking their original samples. The discovery of the one below almost knocked me down when I heard it.

J-Dilla collaborated with Madlib to form "Jaylib" and released the song "The Official" several years ago. I knew some kind of sample was attached, but it wasn't until recently that I found it was originally a track from the big band group, Gap Mangione, and their song "Diana in the Autumn Wind." What's even better is that Dilla sampled this one song to make two different records with two totally different feels. The middle portion of this song was later sampled on Slum Village's "Fall in Love" if you'll recall. No? It's below for your listening pleasure :)

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you had a blog. Thanks for the shout out. Hip Hop Trivia Night is back 1/28/2010 at Lounge Of Three. Hope to see you and inspire you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This goes way back! Thank you for Slum Village.

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger