The Substance of Things Hoped For...

Tuesday, January 20, 2009



Just a few moments ago I woke up crying. My fingertips were tingling, the muscles in my back, arms, and shoulders tense and involuntaritly twitching as they thaw and loosen from having withstood the cold for 10 consecutive hours. I rolled over in bed, a beautiful realization flashed in front of me and I started weeping. In this historic moment where President Barack Obama proclaimed his place in history, and ours alongside him, I realized that I was the only member of my family--on any side--that was here to bear witness to that moment, and I couldn't believe that for all my grandmothers, grandfathers, aunts, aunts, uncles, and even my parents had to endure I was chosen to stand in and represent their presence today among millions. Even if people had to walk across the GW bridge to have to walk several more miles just to reach The National Mall they were coming. Even with our overcrowded subway train having to de-board twice, people were coming and they were bringing their high spirits. Even with the early morning cold offering a chilly 7 degrees--young or old--they were coming. I so wish my family were here for me to stand beside and hug, but I made sure to wave my flag so hard in absolution and joy on their behalf that the flag now barely hangs on the wooden stick it was attached to. But I'm so thankful that He chose us--all of us--to live this time in history, to be challenged in this time, and to show our resolve and give us another opportunity to let our faith lead us.
It's only 6:43 pm, but this tired body has been up since 2am and is heading back to sleep :) Happy Inauguration to everyone!!!
To the First Family, we can't wait to see more of you!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! I see you went! You were a part of the Inaugural ants they keep talking about in CNN http://tinyurl.com/88ptku. How lucky for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You and Ash looked so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so feel your excitement. I too went to the inauguration, and each time I try to write a post on it, I end up deleting it. It's hard to put so much emotions and joy into words. I wish I'd taken a journal with me to somehow capture the essence of what I was feeling on the days leading up to and the actual day of the inauguration. I doubt I'll be able to write a coherent post on the inauguration, but I plan on posting something tomorrow about the festivities I attended.

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger