Mannequin Magazine

Thursday, June 26, 2008

A while ago my boy Tolu sent me an online invitation to join a group called "Mannequin magazine", started by his sister, Lolu. Initially the magazine's content and purpose were mostly confined to the pages of facebook, but recently its first issue was launched online.

At first glance, Mannequin is all about highlighting fashion taken from African influences. However, after clicking throughout the site it becomes clear that the editor and her staff set out to explore fashion as a lifestyle rather than a resource for what's hot today. You might say it's a cross between Essence and Haute Magazine. Features include a Mother to Daugher and Sister to Sister column, fashion spreads, celebrity style, relationship and real life stories, and a hot feature on up-and-coming designers. The first issue gives a shout out to British-born Nigerian designer Walé Adeyemi. While I think the creative direction of the site might need a bit of a shake up, it's still a really great place for young, black fashion enthusiasts to commune and get tips. Mannequin encourages feedback with its community of readers, so be sure to hit up the site if you're interested.

4 comments:

  1. I love your blog!! Your photography blog is so awesome too! Did you take all those photos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first pic! Thanks for putting me on to this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks One Sweet Day! You're so kind! The pics on my photo blog were all taken by me, and a few on the Chestnut are taken by me, unless otherwise noted :D

    No prob, Whit :) I got you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely going to check out their site. Thanks for the info!

    I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger