Here's to You, Good Reads and Great Reunions!

Sunday, June 29, 2008

I implore you to begin reading "Everything is Illuminated" by Jonathan Safran Foer if you haven't already. Honestly, it's one of the most reflective, hilarious and pleasantly sentimental books I've come across in awhile.

The scope of this novel is, in fact, not new news. It has been reviewed by every critic of every newspaper and magazine since its release in 2002 and was even made into a film starring Elijah Wood. That's how I was introduced to the book initially, but yesterday I picked it up from Strands and haven't been able to put it down since.

On the train I'm constantly covering my lips so that I won't laugh too loudly at Alexander, the Ukranian protagonist, and his "sublimely buthchered English." It's endearing the way he almost gets particular English phrases and idioms correct. Like the way he uses "clutch" in place of "grasp". (i.e. Do you clutch the concept of what it is I am examine, Jonathan?") Or how he uses "repose" in place of "sleep." (i.e. I have not reposed all night because of worry).

Ok! This past weekend my girls and me held a reunion, celebrating 2 years of friendship and hard work since the internship with the magazine that brought us all together-- Essence. Here's to many many more years of prosperity, laughs, and love!

2 comments:

  1. oh too cute. I adore girly reunions.. fun fun!

    And now I just have to read that book! I'm already excited to read ur final review on our blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, excellent book!!
    Loving that black and teal halter dress!

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger