My Perfect Saturday Morning...

Tuesday, April 15, 2008




Cinematography techniques run through my head all day. If I could go back to school and study a different field it would definitely be film. I have no problem sitting in a movie house from sun up to sun down; hence, my perfect Saturday consisting of nothing more than sitting in my apartment with the boy, pouring over film after film, never having to get out of bed for anything more than changing the DVDs and refilling the croissant trays :)

I've featured two of the many films I adore because I've been nostalgic for them lately, specifically for this era in filmmaking (1950s-60s). The first is Black Orpheus and I urge you to please, please, please rent/buy it as soon as you can. I came across this film while watching BET J's African Film Series one evening. The film is an adaptation of the Greek tragedy of Orpheus and Eurydice, and it's a gorgeous representation, set during the Carnival season in Rio de Janeiro. The colors and vivacity of Brazilian culture are all brought to life by the mesmeric charm of bossa nova music. I had to watch the film a second time to purposefully focus on the plot because the first time around I was too transfixed by the costumes and the freakishly amazing bone structure of Marpessa Dawn and Lea Garcia. The film went on to win a Palme d'Or in 1959, and there's so much to be read about the cast/director and their achievements before and after the film was released. I'd like to do some research on the camera techniques and further study Brazilian culture--life in the favelas specifically. I've done a bit of that for a photo story I want to cover, but I need more of a historical perspective if I'm want to "come in right."

The second film is another accidental favorite: Grand Prix (1966). I came across this film over the summer while watching TCM one morning. It's essentially about a competition between two Forumla 1 racers that ends, well... but there are lots of intricate affairs and side stories involved. Director John Frankenheimer did a great job with the cinematography and emphasizing subtle moments of tension. Each frame is like a still in a photo essay, it's so well crafted! The styling is beautiful as well. No one seems over dressed; there is a perfect balance between well tailored, yet breezy European clothing. Fashion icon Francoise Hardy is featured in a role that, in my opinion, does not really accentuate her acting skill as much as her beauty. The plot nor the dialogue is the deepest, but it's a great film to see how relationships/friendships are put into perspective next to something that is indifferent to either succeeding or failing--the Grand Prix itself.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! That definitely is a great saturday morning. I expect to borrow both of those from your collection. Glad you are feeling better:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CJ :)I'm working on putting that wishful-thinking Saturday into action...

    ReplyDelete

Share This

Chestnut Orange All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger